On June 15, 2012, President Obama signed an executive order establishing the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) program. With this initiative, those individuals who came to the United States as children and meet specific guidelines may be considered for deferred action over two years. Subject to renewal, deferred action does not provide lawful status but it does open a window to those who grew up in the United States and consider it home.
Not sure if you qualify? You may be eligible if you meet the following conditions:
- You were under the age of 31 as of June 15, 2012
- Came to the United States prior to your 16th birthday
- Have continuously lived in the U.S. since June 14, 2007
- Were physically present in the U.S. on June 15, 2012
- Had no lawful status on June 15, 2012
- Are currently in school, have graduated high school, obtained a GED certificate, or are an honorably discharged veteran of the U.S. Coast Guard or Armed Forces
- Have not been convicted of a felony, significant misdemeanor, or three or more misdemeanors, and do not otherwise pose a threat to national security or public safety.
To begin the application process, individuals must first find the $465 loan fee. Your Dane County Credit Union based in Madison, WI can help. The DACA DREAMer Loan is a very unique personal loan from DCCU, intended specifically for those applying for the DACA program. You will not pay any application fees and no credit history required. After a quick approval, your check is made out directly to the Department of Homeland Security. Loan includes a low interest rate and can be paid back over a period of six months. In addition to building a strong credit history, you’ll have access to all that DCCU has to offer and your family members are now eligible for membership in your Madison credit union as well.
What you’ll need:
- DCCU membership
- Completed Deferred Action Application (I-821D)
- Photo ID (student ID, passport, or matricula consular)
- Proof of Physical Address
- Proof of Income for applicant or co-signer (letter of employment, pay stub, W-2, tax return)
- Under 18? You can apply with co-signer or parents
When you’re ready to complete your DACA paperwork and application, read through all the instructions first. Similar to taxes or any government paperwork, you want to submit the forms exactly as instructed to avoid any delays. Stop by your local DCCU branch or apply for a DREAMer personal loan online and reach for your dreams today!